Music is all around us every day and without it the world would be a different and quiet place. Music can evoke strong emotions and memories that no other experience can and is integral to many significant events in our lives. The music curriculum enhances the opportunity to develop confidence and self-esteem, communication skills and collaborative working. The curriculum also instils the discipline to preserve and embed transferrable skills necessary to all areas of life, as well as stretching creativity and imagination. Learning is embedded through the development of knowledge and skills over time and through a diverse selection of musical genres focusing on performance, composition and musical analysis. Pupils experience a wide range of enrichment activities during their time at Westborough to develop a deeper and more meaningful understanding of the arts and to influence their own practice, inspiring them both in and outside of the classroom. The curriculum content gives pupils the experience of being part of a group and a sense of belonging along with a cultural awareness of the ‘great’ composers and musicians who have come before them.
In the music curriculum:
- Pupils will retain a rich and powerful knowledge of a range of musical genres and styles as well as developing their performance skills, adapting suitably to an array of performance situations.
- Teachers will use the best of what is thought and said to allow pupils to develop creativity, critical thinking and collaboration to effectively build achievement and nurture individual talent.
- Planning, delivery and assessment of the four key concepts will be strategically sequenced to ensure that the pupils’ knowledge and understanding of music is secure and builds in complexity and challenge throughout their learning journey.
- Pupils will be take on an exciting and engaging learning journey both in and outside of the classroom exploring a vast range of social, political and cultural events developing the cultural capital of pupils, taking them beyond the classroom experience.
- Pupils will develop literacy and numeracy skills which will allow them to confidently articulate their ideas and performance choices, discuss the creative process as well as critically evaluate their work and the work of others.
- An inclusive approach will be adopted to ensure all pupils have access to the arts curriculum. Pupils will be exposed to the conceptual knowledge, skills and understanding to flourish in their future learning and employment.
- Pupils will be provided with the necessary social, emotional and academic skills to positively contribute to society.