Mathematics is a creative and highly inter-connected discipline that has been developed over centuries, providing the solution to some of history’s most intriguing problems. It is essential to everyday life, critical to science, technology and engineering, and necessary for financial literacy and all forms of employment.
The curriculum provides a high-quality mathematics programme of study for all of our pupils to build the foundation for understanding the world, the ability to reason mathematically, an appreciation of the beauty and power of mathematics, and a sense of enjoyment and curiosity about the subject.
- All pupils will have rich and powerful knowledge of working with each of the key aspects of the national curriculum. This powerful knowledge will take our pupils beyond their own experiences and help them understand mathematical reasoning and solve complex problems in a variety of contexts.
- Teachers will use the most recent subject and pedagogical practices, to allow pupils to gain knowledge which will enable them to be mathematically fluent, to solve complicated problems and to communicate and reason.
- The delivery and assessment of knowledge and skills will be strategically sequenced, so that pupils’ mathematical knowledge is secure.
- Pupils will be engaged by applying their rich and powerful mathematical knowledge in understanding and solving problems in different contexts including a blend of real life, cross curricular and pure academic situations.
- Pupils will develop numeracy and literacy skills which will allow them to understand worded problems, deploy the required mathematical skills and articulate various concepts using rich and extensive vocabulary.
- Pupils will be exposed to the conceptual knowledge and understanding which will allow pupils from all backgrounds to access and excel at future learning and in employment.
- Pupils will have a thorough and rich mathematical knowledge which will equip them to deal with everyday challenges and provide a spring board for further education and employment thus becoming successful members of society.