Welcome to the Careers Department
At Westborough High School we are committed to delivering a valuable Careers Programme to all our students as soon as they begin their secondary education. Having a comprehensive Careers education, Information, Advice and Guidance (CEIAG) programme within Westborough enables our pupils to be able to make rational, but inspirational career pathways for their future. Our vision as a school is to make sure that all pupils achieve their full potential and are prepared for the next stage in their lives. We have therefore developed, and continue to develop, a strong careers programme which provides opportunities for pupils to:
- Have meaningful interactions with employers,
- Develop skills needed inside the work place or for the next stage in their education,
- Explore the different options available post 16, for example: sixth form, college, apprenticeships or employment.
In 2014 the Gatsby report made a major contribution to our understanding of what constitutes “quality” in Careers education, Information, Advice and Guidance (CEIAG) in secondary schools in England. As a result, 8 benchmarks of good practice were drawn up that identify the elements of good careers guidance.
- A stable Careers Programme
- Learning from career and labour market information
- Addressing the needs of each pupil
- Linking curriculum learning to careers
- Encounters with employers and employees
- Experience of workplaces
- Encounters with further and higher education
- Personal Guidance
Consequently, as a school we use C and K Careers as a service provider and they advise us, alongside other local schools, with the delivery of our Careers Programme so that it is of a strong quality. As part of this new Gatsby initiative and our dedication to a quality Careers Programme, we are part of a Kirklees Careers Hub.
Our policy for access providers can be found on our policies page.
We are really pleased to be part of the newly formed ‘Kirklees Careers Hub’ (pilot) which is funded by the government. The hub aims to share good practice and improve the Career provision across schools. Rosie Whitham (Careers Lead) regularly attends Careers Hub meetings where many activities are organised, with other local schools, which address the Gatsby Benchmark areas, and therefore provide the pupils at Westborough High School with a quality Careers Programme.
In addition to the Careers Hub activities, we also have an independent Careers Advisor from Calderdale and Kirklees Careers.
Kirstie Walker Careers Advisor
(Calderdale & Kirklees Careers Service)
I offer impartial Careers advice, information and guidance to pupils from year 8 upwards. I can discuss Career aspirations, job roles, Post 16 option choices including college, 6th form, apprenticeships and training and qualifications offered at post 16 and beyond. I offer all year 11 students in school a 1-to-1 guidance interview. I offer a lunch time drop in on Mondays and Wednesdays for all students. I regularly attend parents’ evenings from year 8 upwards and offer information, advice and guidance to parents, carers and pupils.
- Miss Rosie Whitham (Careers Lead) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mrs Helen Kilkenny (Deputy Head) email@example.com
- Kirstie Walker (C and K Careers Advisor) Kirstie.Walker@ckcareers.org.uk