At Westborough High School we are committed to delivering a valuable Careers Programme to our pupils as soon as they begin their secondary education. Having a comprehensive Careers education, Information, Advice and Guidance (CEIAG) programme within Westborough enables our pupils to be able to make rational, but inspirational career pathways for their future. Our vision as a school is to make sure that all pupils achieve their full potential and are prepared for the next stage in their lives.
Aims of careers Education, Information, Advice and Guidance at Westborough:
- provide good quality independent careers advice to pupils which inspires and motivates them to fulfil their potential
- provide personal advice and guidance which is in the best interests of, and meets the needs of, all pupils
- offer provision that is based on the Gatsby Benchmarks for Good Careers Guidance
- contribute to the raising of pupil achievement by encouraging pupils to develop high aspirations and consider a broad and ambitious range of careers
- provide opportunities to work in partnership with employers, training providers, local colleges and others
- provide opportunities to inspire pupils through real-life contact with the world of work
- develop enterprise and employability skills including skills for self-employment
- support inclusion, challenge stereotyping and promote equality of opportunity
- encourage pupils to see career development as a life-long process
- ensure pupils are aware of the full range of academic and technical routes available at each transition point so that pupils have the necessary knowledge to make successful transitions
- provide opportunities for meaningful encounters with employees, employers, further and higher education and experience of workplaces;
- support social mobility by improving opportunities for all pupils, especially those from disadvantaged backgrounds and those with special educational needs and disabilities and
- to be weaved and embedded into subjects across the curriculum, including PSHE
We are proud to work in partnership with Calderdale and Kirklees (C&K) Careers as a service provider and they advise us, alongside other local schools, with the delivery of our Careers Programme so that it is fit for purpose.
Kirstie Walker, our Careers Adviser from C&K Careers, is in school every week. Kirstie offers impartial Careers advice, information and guidance to pupils from Year 8 upwards. She can discuss Career aspirations, job roles, Post 16 option choices including college, 6th form, apprenticeships and training and qualifications offered at post 16 and beyond. All Year 11 pupils receive 1:1 guidance interviews and lunchtime drop in sessions are available to all pupils. Kirstie attends parents’ evening and Year 8 options evening and is available to offer information, advice and guidance to parents, carers and pupils.
We work in close collaboration with the Leeds City Enterprise Partnership (LEP) and are working closely with Northern Media as our Enterprise partner. These partnerships enable us to develop new and exciting projects and build on our existing outstanding careers provision at Westborough.
We are also really pleased to be part of the ‘Kirklees Careers Hub’. The hub aims to share good practice and improve the Career provision across schools nationally.