Westborough has a very clear behaviour policy which actively supports the school’s aims to:
- Raise pupil achievement, by promoting all pupils’ personal, social and academic achievement; valuing all-round achievement; setting challenging but attainable targets for pupils.
- Work together, by seeing the best in people; demanding the best in people and sharing good practice across the school.
- Play an active part in our community, by being a popular school, promoting citizenship and developing strong links with the community.
The ethos is based on Positive Behaviour Management Principles
- We reward effort and recognise achievement.
- We motivate pupils by recognising and celebrating success.
- We adopt an inclusive approach to rewards in that they are attainable by all pupils, as effort and/or achievement in all aspects of school life will be reflected – academic, sporting, attendance, etc.
- At the same time these rewards have to be earned in the eyes of both staff and pupils.
- We invest in staff to administrate and oversee the process of rewards making the process manageable.
At Westborough, Points Mean Prizes! “You can earn Sleuth points with good behaviour, effort, classwork and attendance and spend them in our On Line Shop! There is something for everyone and a BIG prize draw every term. Pupils can login to the rewards shop here. An example of the layout can be found here.
The school uses the “Sleuth” data management system to register rewards and sanctions and monitor behaviour. The system awards Sleuth Points for positive referrals, which culminate in a variety of rewards. Pupils can choose to “cash-in” points for smaller rewards or to “bank” them towards a bigger prize.
Parents and pupils can see how many points have been earned on a pupil’s Sleuth Homepage, which can be accessed from home as well as in school.
The Sleuth system also grants positive commendations which merit additional points for exceptional achievement, incidents of active citizenship and regular participation in extra-curricular/extended school activities.
Other ways in which pupils are rewarded include: Good Attenders trips, prizes and certificates in year group assemblies each term and a gift voucher for 100% attendance all year .
We hold an annual whole school Prize Giving Ceremony at the end of each academic year to which we invite a guest speaker, school governors and parents to recognise the achievements of those pupils who have made significant progress throughout the year. Pupils can buy raffle tickets with their Sleuth points for a Special Prize which is awarded in the ceremony. Prizes have included a Kindle Fire, tablets and laptops.
A wide range of certificates are presented to reward and celebrate success, effort and achievement in its widest sense. We hold weekly year group assemblies where the focus is on praise/rewarding success. All subject and year teams are able to nominate pupils for the Headteacher’s positive postcard/letter to reward effort and achievement.
General – Around School Rules
Pupils are expected:
- To wait quietly in single file outside a classroom if possible, if you cannot enter a classroom.
- To always walk quietly on the left of the corridors.
- Not to damage other people’s property.
- Not to criticise/make fun of other pupils or their work.
- Not to use abusive language.
- Not to eat chewing gum.
- To follow the instructions of all adults.
- Not to drop litter.
- To only eat and drink in the Dining Room/outside (water is accepted in a clear bottle).
- Not to enter another part of school unless for learning.
- Not to wear hats/caps/hoods inside school.
- To only leave a classroom with the permission of a teacher and a purple ‘Out of Class’ card
- Not to smoke anywhere on the school grounds.
For a full copy of the behaviour management policy click here.